|
|
"You," said Dr. Yavitch, "are a middle-road liberal, and you haven't the slightest idea what you want. I, being a revolutionist, know exactly what I want - and what I want right now is a drink" ~~ Sinclair Lewis ~~
Rob, over at DepthMarker checks in first with a kick ass list. Looking at Rob, you wouldn't think 'Peace Punk' would be so strong in the top ten of Rob's list. Which just goes to show that you cant judge by appearances. I initially thought this would be a lead pipe cinch. I was wrong. But here goes anyway...Just for chronology sake, I was born in 1959.
1. Black Flag- Damaged. An amazing record. Saw them at the Ritz on the tour that gave us "who's got the 10 1/2?" live record. What a great show.Some very angry stuff coming out of Henry's mouth.
2. Sex Pistols- Nevermind the Bollocks. I got the single Pretty Vacant b/w No Fun in 1977 and my life changed. (musically and attitudinally anyway)
3. Buzzcocks- Singles going steady. Good stuff. The album A different kind of tension could fit here as well.
4. Subhumans- Any of their releases...I love this band. From the Cradle to the Grave is my personal favorite. I got a chance to see them at Emos a couple of years ago. Even got to chat with the singer Dick. I was struck by his down to earth perspective on making this kind of music (and being able to make a living at it ) for 20 plus years. It may sound stupid, but getting to see them was like achieving a goal from my youth.
5. Flux of Pink Indians- Strive to survive, causing least suffering possible... a collective similar to CRASS, this album blew me away with it's power and politics.
6. Crass- Christ-The Album. no, wait...Stations...no, wait...Yes sir, I will...no,wait...Penis Envy...The feeding of the 5000 maybe? It was the logo and slogans that really did it for me. And that poster from Christ...I remember a party Ann and I had early in our relationship and that poster had a prominent place in our practice room. One of Ann's street racing friends from high school showed up, still very much trapped in the 70's. He stared at that poster for the longest time...I thought I saw smoke whisping out of his ears...and walked away with the damndest look on his face. It was fucking hilarious. We never saw him again.
7. Gang of Four- Entertainment!...Love will get you like a case of anthrax...I liked what they did with odd percussion. Saw them at the opera house in 84. She was banging away on metal pipes of various lengths and diameter. with great effect.
8. Husker Du- By the release of Candy Apple Grey they were heading south, the early stuff kicked ass though. Saw them at Liberty Lunch and the encore "Love is all around" was amazing. All these people swaying back and forth to the theme to the Mary Tyler Moore show...in front of the barricades...awesome.
9. TSOL- Beneath the Shadows...Not as punk as the first couple of releases, but my favorite of the bunch.
10. Scratch Acid / The Jesus Lizard...Anything , really, they were awesome in both incarnations. David Yow dove onto me at a show at Emos and I got to sing a chorus of Monkey trick with him before he surfed off on top of the crowd. One of the best live bands I've ever seen.
[ ]
|
|
|