Welcome to Subversity // Ecrasez l'infame
Weblog Entries:

"You," said Dr. Yavitch, "are a middle-road liberal, and you
haven't the slightest idea what you want. I, being a revolutionist,
know exactly what I want - and what I want right now is a drink"

~~ Sinclair Lewis ~~

Monday, February 21, 2005 

:: Gonzo is Gone! So? 10:36 AM

Hunter S. Thompson, 65, Author, Commits Suicide

Gonzo is dead. RIP. Some people will praise him for his originality, but let’s face it. The truth was not as nice. He was a selfish, anti social, psychopath. Thompson was as much of a poster boy for the liberal drug selfishness of the 60's and 70's as Vice President Cheney is of the economic selfishness of the 80's. Neither one of them could be described as a good person.

Thompson’s social libertarianism was as ugly as Cheney's economic libertarianism. It is, and was 100% selfish, with zero social responsibility.

I enjoyed the book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". It would be a great read if it were purely fiction. As a pseudo biographical book based upon one of Thompson’s drug induced trips to cover some event for a news organization, it just turns into pages and pages of laughably stupid antics on the part of Thompson and his friend. It is pure, unadulterated selfishness. He reveled in it, it was his trademark. So, love it or hate it, he lived his own life, and in the end, he was the cause of his own death. It mirrored his life. Somehow, I can’t imagine his life ending any other way that suicide. He lived his life as if he was trying to commit suicide every day. Putting the gun to his head and pulling the trigger was just another one of his irresponsibly selfish acts, and this time, it cost him his life.

There was a time in my life when I behaved in much the same way as Thompson. Anything goes, was my motto, and I didn't care much if you agreed or not. I remember one 'trip' where one of my friends was chasing another one around with a chainsaw. It's a damn good thing he couldn't get it started.

It was totally fucked up drugged out craziness. Looking back, all I can say is that it was so far out of anything that could possibly be considered rational, that all I can do is shake my head and say "That's fucked up; you just don’t do that type of shit."

That’s what I thought of Thompson. One of his friends should have told him, "Dude, that's just wrong."
[ ]

Zeitgeist
Pete Seeger

About
Subversity is one of those people who never takes anything seriously while at the same time, responds seriously to the world around him. He wants people to listen to his ideas but isn't willing to make the compromises it would take to get everyone to shut up and hear him. He explodes with passion whenever something catches his interest, dives in and gives it all he has.
~Vic


Navigation / Links
Home ::
Archives ::
Sonnets ::



Contact



Friends And Flamethrowers



What I'm Reading




Now Playing
Grateful Dead

Suggested Reading
Hesse - Siddhartha



Archives


Search Subversity




Valid XHTML 1.0!

This page is powered by Blogger.

Listed on Blogwise

Valid CSS!